Monday, December 17, 2018

Timely Reminder




So, I was wallowing in a pity party last night, and scrolling through twitter when this came on my feed. Now this is not somehthing I do not know,it is just something I tend to forget when I am in the idst of a "pity- party of one" frame of mind.

This is such a difficult time of year, not just for me. I honestly don't know many people, especially women, who don't get frazzled and stressed out this time of year.

First, it's winter and days are short and some of us don't function well when it is dark all the time. (why yes, I am one of those, it makes me cranky, what?)

Then it is the holidays. We think everyone else is handling the extra stress of the holidays better than us...and why are the holidays so damn stressful anyway.

We get so busy this time of year. Whether we are rich or poor, young or old, we get stressed out around the holidays. If you are having financial problems-like we do at our house, you worry, and stress out about how you will keep the electricity on, and still manage to provide a semblance of cheer. It's really hard to think you won't be able to buy a gift for your chid. Really hard. 
 
 If you are lucky enough to  have money, you still worry.
 
So much to do,so little time...

We are bombarded by images, Martha Stewart worthy decorations.Chef worthy dinners, delectable desserts, 6 kinds of cookies.Norman Rockwell family images. And we start to believe that we are the only ones frazzled, stressed, frightened becasue obviously everyone else is better at this that we are.


Sometimes, in the midst of all of this we feel totally useless. As if we have nothing to offer. Everyone else is better at al of this. Or maybe that is just me (but I don't really think so) There are very few things in life that I use the word hate for, but one of the things I do use it for is this. I HATE feeling useless.

That is why this lovely tweet was so timely for me. I needed the reminder.

I think people have this skewed vision of what life used to be-too many Norman Rockwell magazine covers. Norman Rockwell was an artist not an historian.

Honestly, people weren't all that much different 50, 60, 100 years ago. There were good people, there were not so good people. It wasn't a Norman Rockwell magazine cover or an episode of Leave it To Beaver. Just like now, so many things depend on your economic status. Poor women worked outside the home-often in the homes of women with more resources. Poor people spent there limited resources trying to keep a roof over their head and feed their families. 

The world does not cease to exist if we bake 2 kinds of cookies instead of 6. The world does not cease to turn on its axis if we cease to run around frenetically, the sun still,even if belatedly, comes up in the morning. If we choose to not spend money we don't have this year, no one will hate us because their present is smaller (well, if they do they don't count anyway!)Besides, the small ones play with the boxes longer than the presents! The older ones will understand if we are being honest, authentic in our lives.So yes, let's remember to slow down, to breathe. When we get all caught up in the frenzy we miss so much.

So, I appreciate the reminder.

Value and worth are inherent. None of us are useless, not even me.

So, I will take a breath, appreciate the reminder and keep doing what I can,as we start the countdown to the end of the year remeber...All you can do is all you can do.


Peaceand Blessings,

EB


P.S. I dislike doing this but there is a paypal button over there,just in case. The William and I are struggling,and  embarassed I am pointing out the button.We are continually blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment