Monday, December 31, 2012

If you drink, don't drive,

... do yourself a favor. Tonight is a night when so many will be out celebrating the end of the 2012 and the beginning of 2013. Please, make a plan. If you drink, don't drive! If you drive, don't drink! Not complicated. But it does require some thinking ahead. It requires you to think about using an alternate form of transportation such as a taxi, or using a designated driver, or being a designated driver. It might mean that you provide a place for your guests to stay, or that you provide a driver. There are many ways to be responsible.

Now I have nothing against enjoying yourself. I have nothing against those who choose to enjoy alcohol. Personally, I will be celebrating 32 years of sobriety in a few weeks, but that is because I am an alcoholic. I do not begrudge you one sip. But I do want you to think ahead and plan accordingly.

If you drink, please do not drive. I don't care how much you drink, one drink or several. Drinking and driving do not mix.

Lives are changed, destroyed in the blink of an eye. When my husband was killed by a drunk driver not only was my family destroyed but the family of the young woman who killed him was changed forever.

I know, most people think this can't happen to me. The young woman who killed my husband did not think she was impaired when she got on the freeway going the wrong direction and hit him head on at 60 miles per hour.

So, celebrate.Enjoy the party! Have a great time, but have a plan in place. Please.

If you drink do not drive!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this reminder! This is so simple, but it could save the lives of people who are under the influence of alcohol, as well as that of the innocent ones. If you don’t want to end up in jail and needing an attorney to help you solve this issue, just don’t drink and drive. +Grayson Ford

Leticia Holt said...

That is one reminder that no one will ever get tired off or ever should -- don’t drink and drive. Accidents are life-changing events in one's life. And it is not something that one would like to experience while celebrating the holidays. So it’s better to keep this reminder in mind all the time, and keep things on the safe side.

Leticia Holt @ Kim E. Hunter, PLLC

Post a Comment