Sunday, February 6, 2011

What did you want to be when you grew up?

What did you want to be when you grew up? I would think that answer would depend a lot on when and where that growing up was taking place. I have cousins who were married at 14 and 15. Now you see why my dad thought I was an old maid.

Did you want to be a cowboy, a fireman, an astronaut, a doctor or nurse, a teacher? Did you want to be a rock star, or a movie star?

I knew a little girl once who wanted to be a 'cowgirl ballerina'. She and her mom would stop at the store after her dance class, and there she was, 5 years old in her leotard and tu-tu with her pink sequined cowboy boots on. She was a lovely little girl, very brave. She would run in through the front doors looking for me to show me her newest dance step. I always, no matter how busy I was, took a moment to go through the ballet positions with her. I wonder what that looked like to the people who would watch us. At the time I weighed over 450 pounds, and here I was practicing ballet positions with a little girl in pink sequined cowboy boots. I heard the laughs, and a remark or two, but I would always make sure that I was laughing with my little friend so she didn't hear them.

Now, my little 'cowgirl ballerina' had a  Mom who was not a believer. She would say silly things like "You can't be both" or "Only skinny girls become ballerinas". My little 'cowgirl ballerina' knew that her Mom didn't believe in her dreams. She was very surprised when I thought being a 'cowgirl ballerina' was an excellent idea. Almost as surprised as those looking on were to see me doing the ballet steps .But we paid them no mind and we practised our ballet positions twice a week.

What did you want to be when you grew up? Did you have someone in your life to tell you that you could be whatever you wanted to be, or did you have someone who told you that there was no such thing as a 'cowgirl ballerina'?

If you were surrounded by the unfortunate people who were not believers, I am so very sorry. They were wrong, you know.They were acting out of their own lack of knowledge, because they never met someone who told them the truth. And that is very sad. But, I truly believe that people do the best they can, that they often just don't know any better and that if they knew better they would do better. I honestly believe that, and so I am able to forgive those who didn't believe. But, I am telling you that it wasn't true. Whatever reason they gave that led you to believe that you couldn't be anything you wanted, was not true. No one ever told them any better.

Sometimes we are lucky to have families of believers. Sometimes we have to meet believers in the grocery store after dance class. Sometimes we have to simply be our own believers. Yeah, I know, you are all grown up now, so what's the use. Hah! It is never too late to start dreaming. Never. You can be whatever you want to be when you grow up. It might be a little more challenging the older you get, but never impossible. I'll bet you anything google can find you a pair of pink sequined cowboy boots!

So, what do you want to be when  you grow up? Me, I want to practice ballet steps with a cowgirl ballerina.





1 comment:

Roy Durham said...

ester howdy just drop by to say hi. like your post. hopely some friend will stop by and say hi. if you read my latest post you will know why. keep writing and god bless

Post a Comment